Make a gift tax-free with an IRA

A tax-saving way to help save lives around the world

If you are 70½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit Americares and receive tax benefits in return. You can give up to $100,000 from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money.

This law no longer has an expiration date so you are free to make annual gifts to Americares this year and well into the future.

Why consider this gift?

  • Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making.
  • You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
  • If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution for the year, your IRA charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of that requirement.

Make your Qualified Charitable Distribution today – How it works:

  1. Use this free tool to calculate an estimate of how much you are required by law to withdraw from your IRA this year. It will also give you a sense of you how much that withdrawal will increase your tax bill and how much of a tax penalty you’ll incur if you don’t withdraw those funds.
  2. Choose how much of that sum you’d like to donate to Americares as a tax-free QCD gift.
  3. Follow the personalized instructions based on which financial institution manages your IRA, and then sit back and relax in the knowledge that you’ve improved health, saved lives and saved money on your tax bill.

Frequently asked questions

Q. I've already named Americares as the beneficiary of my IRA. What are the benefits if I make a gift now instead of after my lifetime?

Q. I'm turning age 70½ in a few months. Can I make this gift now?

Q. I have several retirement accounts—some are pensions and some are IRAs. Does it matter which retirement account I use?

Q. Can my gift be used as my required minimum distribution under the law??

Q. Do I need to give my entire IRA to be eligible for the tax benefits?

Q. I have two charities I want to support. Can I give $100,000 from my IRA to each?

Q. My spouse and I would like to give more than $100,000. How can we do that?

Your next steps

Stay Informed

Sign up for our email newsletter and get periodical financial updates and alerts.

Sign Up Now